Thursday, October 9, 2008

Frustrations and Turkey

Frustration, turkey, more frustration and some more turkey--pretty much sums up my week. Allow me to explain, here's the condensed version...



It all began when, earlier on in the week, I embarked on my podcasting journey. I happily began reading chapter 8 of Richardson's text and found out that "Podcasting is basically the creation of and distribution of amateur radio." (p. 110) Very cool, this was going to be fun. I watched Lee LeFever's Common Craft video, Podcasting in Plain English, and discovered that podcasting was different from regular broadcasting in that it is "personal and on demand". Basically, I can listen to what I want when I want, with the help of a "podcatcher" (for example itunes) and a RSS feed subscription. Ricardson and Lee Fever assured me that creating my own podcast was just as simple as subscribing to and downloading one that had been broadcast by someone else. After listening to student created podcasts (readings of a Newbury Award book in the educating alice blog), I was inspired and motivated (much as these students were) to create my very own podcast.



Reading on, I knew that I needed a way of recording digital audio. Hmmm... my daughter has an MP3 player with a built in mic, that ought to work. I created a free account with "Audacity" as I needed some software to convert what I recorded into MP3 format . Easy enough to create the account but here's the beginning of my frustration. The "synching up process", that's casually mentioned in Richarson's text (p. 117), to get my recorded files onto my hard drive was extremely time consuming (for me, anyway) and the recorded results were an inferior quality (partly due to the cheap MP3 player). So, off I went to purchase a good quality mic to save time, hopefully, and produce some better sounding recordings for my podcast.



The mic worked great and way easier than trying to record via the MP3. All I needed now was to transfer the MP3 file to an online server that would create a URL, enabling my file to be linked to my blog. First, I tried Our Media (Richarson's first suggestion, p. 118) for free storage of my audio file. My frustration continued...it took forever to download a small test file I created (actually, I don't think it ever really did download...) . Next, I decided to try "Podomatic" (another Richardson suggestion, p. 119), a web-based service where you can record, store and share your podcast all on the one site!
Why I didn't read and try this first...frustration gave way to some relief, if only temporary...



Success! Using Audacity, I recorded my daughter, Claire, reading and essay she wrote, and won an award for, about the "Spirit of B.C." (see previous posting) Using "Podomatic", I downloaded my MP3 file, stored and posted it directly to my blog--a great feature this site offers. All quickly and efficiently--they even sent me an email letting me know this had been done successfully.



Things were looking up, or so I thought...



Great, my podcast was done, a first step in assignment completion! It took way longer than anticipated, but I'm grateful I tried it on my own before attempting it with a class. Now, all that was left was to finish my blog post about this podcasting process. Shouldn't be too difficult, considering I had carefully saved the links of my readings etc. in a word document...



Disaster struck...



One turkey dinner down and it was time to start blogging, I just needed to fire up the computer. It didn't just "fire up". Long story very short, after a trip to the computer shop, power is thankfully restored. New problem. As soon as it powers up, it freezes. Nothing. Not good. Also not good is that it's Thanksgiving weekend and the IT guy has gone home for his turkey dinner. I can't access anything. This is where I start to reflect (a little late) on the benefits of web-based storage of documents. Also, a good time to think about the frustrations many of us feel when, especially at school, computers are down and there's a huge wait for someone in the IT department. Obstacles to this great Web 2.0 technology.



More turkey and a rescue...



Another turkey dinner down and, along with it, the borrowing of my Mother-in-laws laptop (there could be a great joke here...) So I'm back online, but without my carefully preserved word document, I'm flying by the seat of my pants and spending way more time, that I don't happen to have, trying to re-do what I had already done. Frustration once again...

In spite of all this, I do see great implications for using podcasting in the classroom. I was struck with Joyce Valenza's comments when discussing what a library should look like in the 21st century in the Women of Web2.0 podcast. She mentioned that catalogued and posted in libraries should be archives of student created materials. Podcasts are certainly a great way to archive student achievements, whether it be reading favourite literary passages or interviewing someone as part of a radio show podcast. Also, what a treasured addition to a portfolio of student work. What parent wouldn't be thrilled with an audio file that their child created? (I sent mine off to both sets of grandparents...) As far a creating podcasts in the classroom, the sheer motivational factor of making an audio file that can be shared and replayed is huge for student learning.

As well, Will Richardson states in Podcating 101:

"Teachers find podcasts are a great way for students to present what they are learning in the classroom. So when the kids at Radio Willow Web in Omaha , for example, produce a show about “Those Amazing Ants,” they are doing work that has a real purpose beyond the classroom." "...real purpose beyond the classroom"... meaningful and relevant learning, exactly our goals for students in today's classrooms.

After listening to the first podcast created by Mabry Middle School, the power of this Web 2.0 tool as a communication device between home and school is incredible. Families can download school newsletters, concert performances, classroom assignments etc, listening to and sharing them at their convenience. Students can easily pick up missed classroom assignments by listening to a podcast created by their teacher or classmate.

For myself, listening to podcasts, whether for professional or personal reasons, is the ultimate, multi-tasking time saver. I can do chores while listening to some great reviews of children's literature (eg. Just One More Book). I may not always have time to read, but having the option of listening when and where I want, while doing other things, will greatly enhance my professional development. (A great list of podcasts for educational use put out by David Warlick can be found at The Education Podcast Network website).

Frustrations will continue, I'm sure, with technology and with the "newness" of most of these Web 2.0 tools. As for me, I'll continue to persevere and be thankful for turkey dinners as well as encouragement and support from wonderful friends (thanks Jacquie!) and family.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh Jan, what a week you have had! I am so sorry that you had such a stressful time creating a podcast...but the results are good! The way you write about the ups and downs of your podcasting experiences made me smile (in some places) and shake my head (in others)! Well done!

I hope these experiences haven't completely turned you off podcasting as a tool for teachers and students!!!

Jo-Anne Gibson said...

Jan,
I'll bet that listening to your obviously intelligent daughter made everything worthwhile. Way to hang in there!

My computer sounds like a truck at the moment so when I found out about a free file-hosting site called Xdrive today on one of the blogs I follow, I decided to download it and give it a try. I couldn't imagine the grief of losing all my files. At least my pictures are on Picasa and my favorite sites are on Delicious!

Jo-Anne

Carol said...

Jan,

I appreciated all of your reflective comments on your challenging week. Hope things go better for future topics!

carol t